GPT has taken a holistic approach to improving school transport safety through various measures. We understand that there is no single solution to improving school transport safety and all the stakeholders have a role to play.
A reduction in car usage improve the health and wellbeing of children and young people as well as reducing congestion and decreasing CO2 emissions. However, in order for active travel to be a viable alternative to the private cars, we understand the requirement of safe routes to school.
The approach clearly outlines the school transport safety requirements and priority areas. Keeping in mind approach acknowledges the following as the key priority areas.
- Set safety standards in School Transport Contracts
- Risk assess school drop-off and pick-up areas and review routes
- Improve communication and clarify responsibilities
- Raise awareness of desired student behaviours
- Establish best practices, introduce technology and integrate them fleet operations