Our service model illustrates our integrated approach to manage the complexities of student transportation. Our Service Model is based on the safety initiative SMART which consists of:
SAFE BEST PRACTICE
Identify, establish and implement safe best practices in School transportation to ensure highest safety standards.
- Establishment of dedicated and specialized teams to ensure high level of safety
- Route management – To ensure optimal utilization of resources
- Fleet inspection – Ensure high standards of vehicle safety and up keeping
- Crisis management teams – Untoward incidents are handled well
- Pre-trip inspection – to ensure that the vehicles are in good condition
- Post-trip inspection – to ensure no child is left unattended
- Mentor programs – to maintain overall standard by training the new drivers.
- Preventive maintenance Program – To ensure vehicles in very good condition
- Emergency and speed limitation devises – RTA specification, ensures safety
- Student Safe dispersal practice – To ensure safety in parking area & boarding time
- Safe travel checks – Overall safety is ensured during the entire journey
- Code of conduct for students – To guide students
- Dedicated two-way communication with vehicles
- Formal communication with parents for changes in vehicle or driver
- Regular circulars & Newsletters
Manage the processes or activities so as to meet the objectives of complying with regulatory requirements, satisfying the parent’s service requirements and; define priorities and ensure adequate resources are provided to ensure high level of safety and security.
- Accreditation to Quality Management System and ensure safety and security of staff and students
- Ensure high safety and security through harmonization of concepts and terminologies like school routes, pick up and drop off points, regular and extra trips etc. procedures and reports.
- Ensure that the organizational structure and staffing levels are reviewed regularly to ensure effective implementation of safety and security program, minimizing administrative layers and processes.
- School Bus facilities meet with regulatory requirements; maintain in safe and good working condition
- Effective implementation of preventive maintenance program and ensure safety and security of students
- Statistical approach for measuring driver’s performance – Performance Score Card; Structured Award & Reward system;
AWARENESS & TRAINING
Improve safety through training and awareness activities, targeting all the stakeholders involved in the school transportation. Also ensure transfer of knowledge from practices & techniques and increase awareness of safety issues.
- Behind the wheel training for all the new drivers; 20-hours of pre-service training; Defensive driving training for aggressive drivers
- Class room training for drivers on modules – Being a School Bus Driver, Occupational Health & Safety, Effective Student Management, Operating a School Bus (Safe Travel Check), Blind Spots, Driving to distraction, Look after the wheels, School Bus Stops, Use of indicators, Crisis Management, Pre-trip Inspection, Know your bus, Fuel Management, Preventive Maintenance and Good driving habits
- Class Room training for Bus Attendants on modules – Duties and Responsibilities of Bus Attendant, Occupational Health & Safety, Student Management, Communication & Teamwork
- Workshops and training sessions on safety for Admin staff; Training sessions on Occupational Health & Safety, Office Safety etc
- Safety Education through Safety Programs; Safety Campaigns for School Students; Circulation of safety material & newsletters to parents, students etc
- Formal investigation of all accidents & near-hit incidents.
RISK ASSESSMENT & SAFE AUDIT
Improve safety through regular and structured risk assessment of all the routes, pickup & drop off points, vehicle, students & staff, drivers, bus attendants etc. Also ensure that annual Safety Audit of transport system is carried out.
- Risk of route involving the routes like traffic collision, difficult turns, blind spots, road way marks, adverse weather conditions, faded line markings, varying speed limits, overhead hanging trees, changing the assigned bus without prior permission are required to be carried out as part Route Risk Assessment
- Risk Assessment of Pickup and Drop off points includes the pickup and drop off points like improper shelter at waiting area, low lighting, absence of pavement, stops near traffic signal / roundabout, lack of pedestrian crossing, crossing of service lane / two-way roads
- The risks like not carrying out pre-trip / post-trip inspections, not following safe travel check list, not adhering to defensive driving skills / aggressive driving, illness / fatigue of driver / bus attendant, student disciplinary issues are required to be carried out as part of Risk Assessment of driver, bus attendants & passengers
- Risk Assessment of vehicle includes mechanical failure, cut or bruises to tire sides, failure of safety equipment, malfunctioning of technology and not adhering to regulatory guidelines
- Safety Audit is required to be carried out annually which includes communication between school administration and parents, infrastructure & resources available to manage the transport system, safety culture of the school, emergency responses, identification of risk involved in the transport system, implementation of best practices and technology
Introduce the latest technology and integrate them with operations to provide safe, highly reliable services to students and other passengers.
- Install Global Positioning System in all the buses of GPT and monitor the fleet on real-time
- Introduce SMART Bus Attendance Device, implement Electronic Attendance System for students and capture the movement on real time basis.
- Establish Risk Management Centre (RMC) and monitor through display screens the fleet and students movements (GPS & Electronic attendance) and CCTV footage, monitor and administer emergency situations in real time, ensure mass communication with parents, handle speed, geo-fencing, scheduling alerts, compile reports and feedbacks.
- Introduction of – Panic button to attend to emergency situation; Empty Bus Confirmation system to ensure that no child is left behind inside the vehicle unattended;
- Implement Student Safety Reports like absent report, still on board alert, travelling in different bus report, student log in & out report; Fleet Management Reports like vehicle tracking, over speed, geo-fencing, fusion chart and Operational efficiency reports like capacity utilization, idling report, odd-hour usage & fuel reports.
- Install Video Surveillance System in all by vehicles of GPT and develop a system of regular monitoring of bus staff’s (driver & bus attendance) performance and student behaviour.
- Implement Campus Entry and Exit Control Device and integrate them with Bus Attendance System